Sunday, November 8, 2009

A Quick Chocolate Fix

Since I went to the Village Bakery yesterday, I decided to try and make my own form of pastry. In the dorm.

Because I don’t have access to an oven, I looked online for an easy microwave-friendly recipe for desperate college students living in a dorm, or quite simply, me.

Yes, cake is available in the dining hall, but I wanted to make my own.

The ingredients are simple and accessible in the university markets, and the best part is that you don’t even need eggs or oil. You need your favorite cake mix in a box and milk, or as the recipe says, “Water if you’re desperate.”



Thankfully, my roommate has a measuring cup (except that in the recipe the milk is measured in tablespoons). Because of the milk measurements are in tablespoons, we guessed using regular teaspoons. Luckily, Jess knew that there are three teaspoons in one tablespoon. After we measured the milk and dumped it into the measuring cup, it turned out that four tablespoons equals ¼ cup. Imagine that.

I stirred the milk into the mug, where the 1/3 cup of cake mix sat waiting.

After mixing the two ingredients together, I popped it in the microwave for two minutes on high and watched it rise. I was thrilled at the sight—my mug whirling around as the chocolatey goodness rose.


Three. Two. One. Beep!

I immediately opened the microwave door, and much to my dismay, the cake collapsed in the mug. I started poking at the mass of chocolate with my spoon. The cake resembled a slimy sponge. I know, sounds appetizing, doesn’t it?

“It’s good, it just has some slimy spots,” my roommate Kirstin said.



And it really does taste like cake, cheap cake, but it’s sufficient for a college student who doesn’t have much money.

Beware though, it leaves a mess in your cup.

“We should grease it with something,” Jess said, referring to the mess it made in my mug.

“What?” I asked.

“Grease,” Jess said.

Let’s just say that even if I had grease, I don’t think it would be a good idea. So for now, I’ll just deal with the messy clean-up.


No comments:

Post a Comment