Sunday, November 1, 2009

A Look Ahead

Over the last five weeks, I’ve led you to my favorite local treasures here in Athens: Donkey Coffee and Espresso, Athens Book Center, Casa Nueva, Athens Underground and Bagel Street Deli. I must say, I’m glad I had an excuse to visit each of these, and then promote them through my posts.

As a part of this project, we are required to have an interactive map. So for mine, I decided to mark the places I’ve been to in pink, the places I will be visiting shortly in purple and where I live in yellow.




View "Where Are You Going? Where Have You Been?" in a larger map

As you can tell by the map, I haven’t really branched out from on- or near-campus attractions. After this week, I intend to change that. While my next few treasures are still within about a mile (walking distance) from my little corner on East Green, Read Hall, they’re a bit of a trek for me, though I’m sure I can manage.

So, without further ado, I would like to present my final few destinations.

Passion Works Studio 
Passion Works is an art shop and studio located on East State Street. The best and most unique part about this artwork remains that it is a place were creativity is born and collaboration is the key.

Beads & Things 
This shop not only carries beads from around the world, but also bags, sarongs and gemstones. Customers are even allowed to make their beaded art in the store, where they will receive free instruction by employees.

Village Bakery 
The Village Bakery offers a wide selection of baked goods and pastries made from locally grown produce. This café measures its success on its “social, environmental and financial impact in the local and global communities,” according to the menu.

Miller’s Chicken
Though I don’t know much about Miller’s Chicken yet, I’ll be updating you as soon as I do. I do know, however, that its menu items include fried chicken, seafood, fries, sandwiches and salads. I’m definitely anxious to try it.

3 comments:

  1. Oh my God! You're going to love the Village Bakery. I got a sandwich there that I think had salmon and some fancy mustard on it and it was heaven. Kinda expensive, though. Passion Works is cool, definitely worth checking into. But Miller's Chicken has me salivating. I was so angry on Saturday because I never carry cash and that's all they accept. So come prepared. They supposedly have macaroni and cheese, which I'm imagining is pretty decadent, coming from them. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do love the Village Bakery. I've never been disappointed there. When I went with my parents last Sunday, I got the quiche Lorraine and fresh fruit, and it was wonderful. Good to know about Miller's Chicken. I never carry cash with me, but I'll be sure to do that when I go. Thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, hear me out. Miller's Chicken. Nicest people in the world work there. Don't be afraid to branch out. The specialty at this restaurant, according to my impoverished college friends and me, is the offering of fried chicken hearts. Last year I refused to try the chewy little dark-colored fried things, but eventually I did. I won't say they are my favorite, but they are super economical and kind of like.... chicken. Just kidding, they are kind of like calamari. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete