Thursday, October 1, 2009

The Sweetest Thing

I decided to treat myself today.

And lately, this “treating myself” has become a weekly routine.  After my French phonetics class each Thursday, I run to one of the coffee shops in town and grab some chai.

I tried warm chai for the first time last year, and little did I know, I’d be addicted with the first sip. And let’s just say that my chai addiction has become exponentially worse.

  My friends like to refer to me as a “chai-nnoisseur,” or an expert on the best-tasting chai, and as far as I’m concerned, Donkey has the best chai I’ve ever had.

  I can’t seem to figure out what Donkey does to make it the best chai; heaven knows I’ve certainly tried to replicate it with my store-bought chai-mixes. But Donkey’s chai (whether hot or iced, vanilla or spiced) is significantly better than Starbucks, the Front Room and Bibliotech.

  Right now, I’m struggling to figure out how to describe why Donkey’s chai is so different.

  The chai latte at Donkey is smooth, creamy and satisfying, and it leaves an aftertaste of gingerbread long after your last swig. The chai powder is evenly dissolved in the steamed milk, unlike in other chais, in which the liquid chai isn’t mixed well with the milk, making for two distinct tastes. I’m grimacing at the thought.

  Anyway, on a day like today, where the weather is chilly but the sun is warmly shining through Athens’ vast wealth of trees, a warm chai is definitely my beverage of choice.

  But this is not the typical Donkey chai. It’s seasonal. This particular chai, Chaider, is a tasty blend of chai and steamed apple cider. The aroma of freshly baked apple pie is floating from my mug to my nostrils. Although the appearance is not very appetizing (It’s probably good that it’s covered by a lid.), it tastes like liquefied hot apple crisp with a hint of gingerbread. I’m smiling inside.

  Chaider (or any chai, for that matter) is definitely a perfect choice to satisfy your sweet tooth on a cool, crisp autumn day in Athens.

2 comments:

  1. This is a very good description of Donkey chai (which I have had on many occasions), and I must agree with you, Donkey does have the best chai in Athens (at least that I've tasted). However, as I read this, a thought occurred to me. Which place has the worst chai in Athens?

    ReplyDelete
  2. According to me, the worst chai I've had on campus is the Front Room. The consistency is not smooth or creamy. I believe they use liquid chai, as opposed to the powder that Donkey uses, and the chai and the milk are obviously not well blended together. Then again, the reason for the Front Room's not-so-great chai could be the actual chai the workers use, though I really can't pin-point the reason. If you don't want to walk to Donkey because of time constraints, I recommend the chai latte in Cafe Bibliotech in the library. It's cheaper than the Front Room, and it tastes much better.

    ReplyDelete