Sunday, October 11, 2009

Addition of Social Media

For this post, I wanted to provide a transcription of an interview with the owner of the Athens Book Center; however, I apologize, that will not be happening because I cannot get a hold of him. So, instead, here’s a run-down of the new social media this used bookstore is utilizing to help business.

When speaking with Book Center employee Justin Kendrick, a fifth-year Ohio University student studying creative writing, he told me some of the new marketing plans they hope to use to spread the word of their existence.

In fact, I was speaking to one of my friends two nights ago, and I told her about my excursion to the Book Center, to which she replied, “I never knew that existed.” I was shocked. I had no idea that students had never heard of the Athens Book Center before.

Hopefully, that will change.

After doing some Googling, I discovered the Athens Book Center does have a Web site. (Justin didn’t know the store has a Web site, so either there is poor communication with the owner, or the Web site is simply, really new. I’m choosing to believe the latter.)

Regardless of whether or not the Web site is new, it contains a book directory, a book search and a link for purchasing books from the store. To purchase a book from the online catalog, you must submit your e-mail address and shipping and billing information.

After discovering the Web site, I also noticed on my google search that the Athens Book Center has a Facebook page. I immediately logged in on Facebook and became a fan. I think the bookstore is doing a great job with the social networking even if it doesn’t have a huge following (OK, a very small following). My friends and I make up five of the 54 fans, which to me, is both a happy and a sad thought. Happy because my friends and I love the place, and sad because there are only 54 fans.

But anyway, the Facebook statuses try to engage the viewer and communicate by asking questions and pushing for comments. It keeps fans updated on current happenings and promotions, such as the new smoothies, which according to employee Justin Kendrick, are 100 percent fruit. Hooray for health! I haven’t tried one yet, but I plan on it for the next time I’m there.

No comments:

Post a Comment